History of Bermuda Institute

Bermuda Institute dates its history from the fall of 1943 when 17 pupils ranging from grades one to four occupied one classroom in the basement of the building then known as the Bay View Apartments.

In 1953 the school was transferred to its present site and its 129 pupils relocated in a remodeled two-storey building, on the purchases Sandringham property. As the available classroom space proved inadequate, other classrooms had to be added which included the new modern elementary building which was opened in 1961. Careful study to the upgrading of the school to a Junior Academy was given by the Mission and at the Biennial Session of 1965, it was voted that a new wing be erected. The additional building has made it possible for the program of the school to be expanded to include work equivalent to that of the average Bermuda High School. This means that Bermuda Institute, by action of the Mission Biennial Session held May 1967, is now among the nearly 400 secondary and collegiate centers of Christian Education owned and operated by the Seventh Day Adventist Church throughout the world.

DATE PRINCIPAL
2003 - present Mrs. Lois Tucker
1994 - 2002 Mrs. Sheila Holder
1991 - 1994 Mr. Clayton McKnight
1986 - 1991 Miss Rosemary Tyrrell
1982 - 1986 Mr. Ian Kelly
1980 - 1982 Mr. Joseph Redcross
1979 - 1980 Mrs. Inez Dixon
1976 - 1979 Mr. Gladwin Trott
1974 - 1976 Mr. Howard N. Pires
1970 - 1968 Mr. W. H. Brown
1968 - 1970 Mr. C. B. Skinner
1963 - 1968 Mr. Roy E. Malcolm
1960 - 1963 Mr. Edward Richardson
1956 - 1960 Mr. L. K. Fleetwood
1955 - 1956 Mr. H. Sterling
1954 - 1955 Mr. Adrian P. Simons
1952 - 1954 Mr. W. Morgan
1950 - 1952 Mrs. Esther Pitt
1943 - 1950 Mr. Adrian P. Simons